Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Day Four Penny-Wise Challenge

I fell off the wagon today for lunch, but it was a planned fall- Administrative Assistants Day, and we went out to lunch. Our AA is the hardest working woman I have ever had the pleasure of working with, and I wouldn't have missed the day for all the local food in Pennsylvania. And I listened to Michael Pollan's An Omnivore's Dilemma on the way to and from the restaurant, so my mind was still on the challenge, even if my stomach was not. The book has so much food for thought, much of it disturbing. What struck me the most today- a quote from the man who founded Cascadian Farms- I probably don't have it word-for-word, "Eventually everything morphs to the way the world is." Man, how depressing for those of us who want to change the world!
And on to the Challenge.

The Menu:
Breakfast: Cherry Zucchini muffins (Costed out on Day 1)
Lunch: W- went out; C- peanut butter and green onion sandwich. (Yup, that is correct.)
Dinner: Chicken Corn Soup with Chard and Black Eyed Peas.
Snack: Yogurt and peaches

The Local Items:
Green Onion- $0.25
Yogurt: $0.24
Peaches: $0.25
Chicken Corn Soup- $2.66 (See Day 2 for breakdown of costs)

Semi-Local Items:
Peanut Butter: $0.25 ($1.99/pound)

Not At All Local:
Bread: $0.26
My lunch out- $23.63 (Includes tip)

Total: $27.54 with lunch, $3.91 without
Total for the 4 days so far: $63.37 with lunch, $39.74 without.

Interesting note- I read in our local paper that our "showcase restaurant" here in town is getting new management. It will be managed by an off-site company, but the on-site manager-employee says he has a commitment to local food. It will be interesting to see. Two or three years ago I drove my Mennonite neighbor around to every restaurant in town with boxes of produce from her family farm- no one would buy any.

No comments: