Thursday, April 2, 2009

The garden is showing it's green!



The tatsoi and the pak choi are peeking their little heads up in the garden- no sign of the carrots or scallions yet. The picture above shows pak choi.

Seedlings under the light are doing well. I noticed some yellowing leaves, so I bought a container of fish emulsion, diluted it 1 Tsp: 1 quart water and started doing spraying it onto the plants for a foliar feeding. The yellow leaf on the squash plant is not a problem- it's the cotyledon, or seedling leaves.

It should be safe to put the plants in the ground in about 3 weeks. Our average last frost date is April 15.

We planted potatoes today, and spinach. I'll post a picture of the potato bed soon- we built a raised bed from cinder blocks, then layered last fall leaves, the potatoes and then 12 inches of straw. Chuck also thought we should add potash, based on something he read in the Organic Gardeners Encyclopedia.

1 comment:

Daphne Gould said...

I wish I could be planting my potatoes today, but the local stores still don't have any seed potatoes in stock. Next year I'm ordering them in advance.